Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Oompa Loompa Blueberry Ice Cream - TWD


It happens every time--they all become blueberries.
-Willy Wonka


I am a well known fiend for kitchen gadgets. If its something that makes life more enjoyable in the kitchen, there's a good chance I own it. Case in point - I'm a proud owner of a Lemonader (that name, under all circumstances must be pronounced in a very german accent. And as a second side note - I love my lemonader. But then again, I'm a lemonade addict. Anything that produces this fresh squeezed manna for me in under 30 minutes is a gift from the gods.)

Anyhow, it should be no surprise then, that I of course also own an Ice Cream machine. So I was giddy with excitement to put the machine to work for this week's Tuesdays with Dorie challenge of some blueberry ice cream.

Dorie's recipe was actually pretty easy when it comes to mixing up the custard. No egg separation and tempering here. Simply boil, blend, cool, and freeze. What could be easier?

I had some leftover birthday cake from my office on Friday (Not only did I hit 3 decades, they forced chocolate cake on me. Oh the humanity.) So I figured the ice cream would make a nice almost savory addition to the cake at home.

To add a bit of flavor to Dorie's recipe, I used 1/3 brown sugar instead of white, lime juice and zest, and added 1/2 tsp of vanilla to the berries as they were boiling. I served it up with a nice fat slice of chocolate cake, topped with some dried blueberries from the pantry.

These small changes were minor, but added a subtly smooth depth to the flavor of the berries and sour cream. A perfect accompaniment to the chocolate cake without being toothache sweet, and a cheerful color that would brighten the day of anyone celebrating the 1st anniversary of their 29th birthday.

I give the ice cream two thumbs up, and will be interested to try it as an ice cream sandwich next. Maybe with some vanilla sugar cookies for the sandwich.


The recipe for Dorie's Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream be found over at Chronicles in Culinary Curiosity, or in Baking: From My Home To Yours, written by Dorie Greenspan.

19 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Wow, your ice cream (and cake!) sounds delicious. And so pretty in the maker.

Nancy
The Dogs Eat the Crumbs

Anonymous said...

Oh I absolutely HATE it when people force chocolate cake onto me. :) The ice cream looks yummy and I like your little alterations very much.

marae said...

look at that cool shot of the ice cream in the ICE CREAM MAKER. this is an appliance i have owned for 4 years and could not for the life of me find last weekend. so i made mine by hand. but now i am even more dedicated to find that elusive creature and try it out. love your ice cream color!

Susan @ SGCC said...

Your ice cream looks great! Love the shot of it in the ice cream maker. I used lime instead of lemon too. Great job!

Jules Someone said...

This worked out so well for you! Sounds like your version was very tasty.

Anonymous said...

You're right - this does sound like it would be good in an ice cream sandwich. I love the variations you did to yours, it looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

oompa loompas! of course! how did that one slip past me. it's not because i don't know about oompa loompas; my kids got on a willy wonka jag one summer and watched it about 200 times. maybe i've blocked it out. this is just great!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Mmm chocolate cake sounds like a good complement!

hoagiefest 2020 said...

Brown sugar is an awesome idea, and I can't for the life of me wrap my head around the idea of how it would taste in an ice cream! Another one for the ol' idea book!

Engineer Baker said...

A lemonader? Awesome. And it's just never cool when chocolate cake is forced upon you. You just have to destroy the evidence asap.

Prudy said...

Ice cream and cake a party make. Your ice cream looks wonderful and I love love love your post title.

Linda said...

choc cake and this ice cream...yum! i went the ice cream sandwich route this week, and you will not regret it! :)

Rigby said...

Your ice cream sounds wonderful! I like the changes you made in the recipe, and pairing it with chocolate cake would be divine!

Mari said...

I like your tweaks, I bet the brown sugar gave it quite some umph, and you can never go wrong with lime juice!

Anonymous said...

yummmm blueberry ice cream and chocolate cake! I'm so hungry!

Sharon said...

great combo. great idea to add vanilla.

Pamela said...

Happy belated birthday to you. How awful...the whole chocolate cake thing. ;o) I really enjoyed the ice cream and a number of people made sandwiches with them. Great idea.

Jacque said...

Mmmm, it looks fantastic! Love your pictures, especially the one with the cake.

Anonymous said...

I really, really want to have a bite. Just a small bite :)